Central Alberta Branch
Executive Meeting Minutes

Tuesday, April 10, 2001

7:15 p.m., Red Deer College
Red Deer, Alberta



Present: Kim Ng, Andrew Poole, Gerry Pyper, Elisabeth Dupuis (recorder), Arun Mishra, Rick Granberg, Rod Collins , Peter Stevens, Blair Boudreau

Regrets: Chis Dedeurwaerder, Deepika Shah-Lahoti, Bob Demcoe

  1. Meeting was called to order 7:15pm.
  2. Agenda was approved.
  3. Last meetingís minutes were approved.
  4. Business Arising:

    4.1 Student Outreach:

    1. (a) School presentations: Volunteer were found for the Consort and the West Park schools. There are two outstanding requests for Red Deer schools.

      (b) Teacherís Awards: Andrew P. will contact association co-ordinator to discuss the idea of contacting the membership via e-mail and encourage members to nominate candidate and spread the word. The award recipients were selected by a sub-committee last year. We propose to do the same this year.

    4.2 Chamber Update:

      No update in Bob D.ís absence.

    4.3 Branch/HO APEGGA issues:

    Kim N. said that head office had only received approximately 4000 ballots for the annual APEGGA executive election and Presidentís Honorarium referendum. Last year, 6000 ballots were received.

  5. New Business:

    5.1 ASET:

    1. Kim N. attended the ASET AGM and presented a short presentation on the new relationship between APEGGA and ASET and the new act. It was well received. We will invite two members from ASET to our AGM.

      There is a several applications for ASET members seeking registration with APEGGA for a limited scope of practice. Some ASET members attended our PD day. Gerry P. will contact Paul from ASET regarding organizing a joint golf tournament for Central.

    5.2 PD Day:

      PD Day was a great success. Forty three people attended and the feedback was almost unanimously positive. People were pleased with the quality of the presentations. The following recommendations were made for next year: more comfortable venue, longer sessions for more in-depth learning, course ideas from the most popular to the least: project management, financial management/taxes, effective use of e-mail, presentations.

    5.3 Upcoming Events:

      AGM:

      May 8 at the Black Night Inn: topic: "Creating a Vehicle for the 21rst Century"; meal: chicken cordon bleu-no wine on the tables; admission: $20.00/perspn; teenagers will be welcome; no candidate has come forward for the chair position (candidates must have served on the committee for at least a year). Some members mentioned an interest in joining the committee at the PD Day. Suggestions for events for the upcoming year will be solicited.

      Collicutt Centre tour:

      Kim N. will arrange for a tour of the center to be given by the project manager or architect on June 14th and explore the possibility of combining the tour with a social activity (refreshments, pool)

      General:

      A motion was raised to present a small gift to members and spouses who attend every event hosted by the branch. The motion was defeated.

      Consideration shall be given to having a toast to those people instead. Also, consideration shall be given to give away door prizes at the events (e.g. free admission to the following event).

    5.4 Courses:

      New bridge design and building code-three-day course, $1000.00

    5.5 Volunteers Organization Update:

    Tetra

    Science network

    Central Alberta Science Fair: May 5 at Gaetz United Church; NOVA is sponsoring.

  6. Next Meeting:

May 1/01, 7pm, Red Deer College, Presidentís conference room (room 1118); minute taker: Andrew P.