Fort McMurray Branch
Tuesday, Feb 13, 2001
201, YMCA (Westwood),
February 13, 2001 Actions
Mitch Azmier, Kim Farwell, Rattan Garcha, Paul Hagar,
Hassan Halepota, Shannon Hardy, Jamie Leblanc, Prakash Mullick,
Jacob Oommachan, Andrey Pawelczak
Allyson Hadland, Marc Riendeau, Mike Sneath, Swami Swaminathan
Peter Fisher, Dave Fudge, Greg Gaudet
- Call to Order
- Branch Chair Opening Remarks
- Review and Acceptance of Previous Meeting Minutes
- President’s Visit update: wine will be poured for each
guest, no bottles on table.
- Participation in President’s Visit luncheon is low,
consider moving it to town.
- Paul will pick up Neil Windsor at the airport.
- Allyson Hadland was excused, not absent.
- Minutes accepted. Motion: JL, Second: MA. Status: carried.
1. Review of Action Log
- Action log was reviewed and updated.
2. President’s Visit
- Volunteers: At door – Paul and Jacob. Need list of
inductees and VIP’s
- Shannon and Marc will MC
- Note that Guy Boutillier would like to speak for ten
minutes – Rattan to ensure that it is not campaigning, as this would
not be an appropriate venue
- Ticket sales have been slow. 9 confirmed non-paying
guests (VIP’s and inductees) and 5 confirmed paying guests at this time.
- Exec members who had not yet bought tickets confirmed
- It was agreed that although our normal policy is not
to actively sell tickets, we would increase our efforts through the
week to ensure this event is a success.
- Action: Kim to send out a reminder to the Exec to sell
- Concern raised that due to the late date in the President’s
term, we only meet the President just before he/she moves out of the
role. It was suggested that we have the President’s visit earlier in
- The timing of the visit is the same for all branches.
To manage this, both the President and First Vice President attend,
as usually the First Vice President takes over the President’s role
the next term.
3. Annual General Meeting
- Marc to provide an update.
4. Nominating Committee
- The role of the Nominating Committee is to collect
nominations and ensure qualifications
- The only qualification limit is that the chair must
have one year of experience on the executive
- Anyone can nominate – contact the Nominating Committee
(Kim, Mike, Rattan)
5. Council Meeting Update
- Branch update in the PEGG – ours is coming up soon.
- Branch website – minutes are not up to date.
- Annual Conference – details are in the PEGG, social
activities, CPD sessions, Summit Awards.
- Paul to remind Bob G. and determine whether Syncrude
will purchase tables this year.
- Summit Award nominations have been set up to occur
year round. Any nomination that occur after the deadline will be automatically
included in the following year’s awards.
- National Engineering Week – Science Olympics – will
be at Discovery Centre either March 3 or 10. We will need volunteer
- Branch Manual – has been updated to include Budget
Manual and Branch Manual as one.
- Len Shrimpton is considering revamping the MIT seminars.
- PEGASUS proposal – alliance between universities and
APEGGA to provide online learning.
- President’s Honourarium – this will be a membership-wide
vote, it will occur at the same time as the council vote, but on a separate
- Honourarium is proposed to be $40-60K in size.
- APEGGA bylaws allow that if 30 members object to this
vote being held, it could be cancelled.
- Car Travel reimbursement has been raise to $0.40 per
- CPD non-compliance – looking to rewrite bylaw to strike
repeat offenders from register. All members will be reminded first.
- Secondary Liability Insurance was raised again.
6. Other Business
- MS (via MA) – it was noted that we did not micromanage
events during the meeting and we should be commended.
- SS (via MA) – we have been approached by the historical
book society for a donation to a publication on Fort McMurray. MA to
check branch bylaws and sponsorship guidelines.
- Motion: MA, Second: PH. Status: carried.
- Next Meeting: March 13, 2001. YMCA, room 189, or as