Sugar, or sucrose, is a carbohydrate that occurs naturally
in every fruit and vegetable in the plant kingdom. It
is the major product of photosynthesis, the process by
which plants transform the sun's energy into food. Sugar
occurs in greatest quantities in sugar cane and sugar
beets from which it is separated for commercial use.
· 148,000 tons of sugar is produced in one day
around the world.
· Common table salt is made up
of Sodium Chloride and has been used for many years as
a valuable preserving agent and flavour enhancer.
· Sodium is found in body fluids
and plays a role in maintaining water balance within the
body, helping nerves to function and muscles to contract.
· 551,000 tons of salt is harvested in the world
· In some places in Africa, where salt is scare,
it has been used for money.