APEGGA Honors 14 Teachers
Fourteen Alberta science and math teachers have captured the imagination and admiration of their students, and are recipients of APEGGA 1998 Teacher Awards.
In its eighth year, the APEGGA Teacher Awards program rewards elementary, junior high and senior high school teachers who "Make School Cool" for students. Through inspiration or perspiration, they work hard to encourage young minds to excel in difficult subjects. For their efforts these mentors are acknowledged by APEGGA at a public ceremony and receive $500 each towards curriculum materials or field trips.
This year, the Association received more than 700 letters of support from students, parents, principals and school superintendents, as well as other teachers. There were a total of 82 teachers nominated.
APEGGA and its 30,000 members are committed to advancing the study of science and math at all educational levels and invests approximately $75,000 annually in various awards and scholarship programs.
The award recipients (with grade taught and school) are:
- Shonna Barth Grade 6 science at St. Thomas Aquinas School (Medicine Hat).
- John Cabaj Grade 5 science at H. E. Bourgoin School (Bonnyville).
- Caroline Dieken Grade 9 math at St. Jeromes School (Vermilion).
- Cathy Dudgeon Grade 5 math and science at Holy Spirit Academy (High River).
- Craig Frehlich Grades 7 and 8 science at Holy Spirit Academy (High River).
- Bill Heir Grade 7 math and science at Crescent Valley School (Hinton).
- Darrin Park Grade 9 science at Mary Butterworth School (Edmonton).
- Shawn Russell Grade 6 to 8 science at G.H. Dawe Community School (Red Deer).
- Florence Sliney kindergarten to Grade 4 science at Mountain Gate Community School (Canmore).
- Marc Soetaert Grade 9 math and science at Crystal Park School (Grande Prairie).
- Judy Taerum Grade 2/3 math and science at Westbrook Elementary School (Edmonton). Ms. Taerum recently moved to Kansas City.
- Joanne Thaxter Grade 6 math at Lakeview Elementary School (Lethbridge).
- Robin Was Grades 10 to 12 science at Calmar School (Calmar).
- Sylvia Zalik Grade 4 science and math at St. Anne School (Fort McMurray).