general registration

What is a P.Geol. or a P.Geoph.? The P.Geol. or P.Geoph. designation is a professional licence, allowing you to practice geology or geophysics in Alberta and take responsibility for that work.  Only geoscientists licensed with APEGGA, or those practising under the direct supervision of a P.Geol. or P.Geoph. licensed with APEGGA, have a legal right to practice geology or geophysics in Alberta.

What is a Foreign Licensee?

1. If you are not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident (landed immigrant) of Canada, you should apply for licensure as a Foreign Licensee rather than as a P.Geol. or P.Geoph.

2. A Foreign Licensee must meet the exact same admission criteria as a P.Geol. or P.Geoph., however, a Foreign Licensee is not a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada. A Foreign Licensee, like a P.Geol. or a P.Geoph., is given a license to practice geology or geophysics in Alberta and to take responsibility for that work. A Foreign Licensee is not entitled to participate in the governance of APEGGA.

What is an Geologist-in-Training (Geol. I.T.) or a Geophysicist-in-Training (Geoph. I.T.)?

A Geol. I.T. or Geoph. I.T. is a Member-in-Training with APEGGA who has completed the academic and good character requirements but is still working towards gaining the required geology or geophysics experience for licensure as a P.Geol. or P.Geoph. A Geol. I.T. or Geoph. I.T. can practice geology or geophysics in Alberta and gain the experience required for licensure as a P.Geol. or P.Geoph. as long as he or she is working under the supervision and control of a licensed Professional Member.

How do I apply to APEGGA?

To apply to APEGGA you must submit a completed Application For Registration form together with the required accompanying documents and application fee.

The Application for Registration Form and related explanatory materials are available online at the bottom of this page. In the alternative, a paper version of the application package may be obtained through the Calgary and Edmonton APEGGA offices.

Completing Your Forms

Most of the forms below are available in PDF format which allows you to view and fill in your your form electronically on most computers. (The freely available Adobe Acrobat reader is required to view and print PDF files.) Once you have completed the form, print the form page. 

You should then sign the form, enclose any fee that is required and mail or fax the signed form to APEGGA.

For your own records you should also print out a copy of any form you send in.

Effective November 3, 2004, APEGGA will no longer accept reference questionnaires from generic email addresses such as yahoo and hotmail. We cannot ensure the authenticity of email messages from these addresses.

1500 Scotia One
10060 Jasper Ave. NW
Edmonton AB T5J 4A2
Tel: (780) 426-3990  
1-800-661-7020 (within North America)
Fax: (780) 426-1877
E-mail: email@apegga.org

Get help with attachments and plugins.


Description and Instructions


Application for Registration

To apply to APEGGA as a P.Geol., or P.Geoph., Foreign Licensure or E.I.T. please complete this form.

Experience Records

Detailed experienced records (blank forms and examples) which may be used in lieu of a resume.

Criteria & Instructions

Registration Criteria and Instructions for filling out the Application for Registration form.

Registration Process

As part of the registration process we highly recommend you read this document prior to completing the application form. View Process Flow Chart.

Fee Schedule

Application Processing Fee Schedule

Reference Questionnaire Sample

This Reference Questionnaire form is a sample only and not to be completed.

Request for Academic Documents

Send this to your academic institution(s) to instruct them to send your transcripts and directly to APEGGA.

Professional Practice Examination

Application to Write the Professional Practice Examination




Description and Instructions



What You Need to Know



Frequently asked questions and answers






The Act, Regulations and By-laws