|The #2 CAUC, on campus near the old
drill hall (top photo) and during a retreat ceremony (below).
The year 2003 marks the 60th anniversary of
a unique engineering class at the University of Alberta, Edmonton
campus, the #2 Canadian Army University Course.
The course was created by the federal government to meet the
Canadian Army's requirement for more than 1,000 engineering
officers for the war in Europe. It was first offered in 1942
at the University of Toronto (#1 CAUC). Young men with good
academic standing were enlisted in the Canadian Army, spent
one session at university, and then began active service in
The test was considered a success and for the 1943/44 university
year recruits were enlisted and sent to universities across
Canada to take the first year of engineering. The University
of Alberta had 60 candidates registered. We became #2 CAUC.
majority of the Alberta group took basic Training in Camrose
in August 1943 and part of September, and then were transferred
to quarters in St. Stephen College on the university campus.
The troops were given some parade square training when not
at class and one of the four squads took part in retreat (lowering
of the flag) each evening.
We attended regular first year courses and differed from the
rest of the population only in dress (our uniforms) and being
paraded to class. Four of our group graduated at Christmas
and 56 made it through the total year.
After the year in university the group were assigned to various
camps for advance training (infantry, artillery etc.) A number
served overseas. A number were posted to Brockville on an
officer's selection course and some of these became second
lieutenants (the original reason for the course).
After the war 26 returned to finish degrees at the University
of Alberta in engineering and engineering physics, 15 returned
and received degrees in other fields while 2 received degrees
at another University.
In May the group held its ninth reunion since leaving university,
at the Mayfield Inn, Edmonton, with a special visit to the
Edmonton campus. There are 38 members still standing and we
lately get about 25 members with their wives to a reunion.
We have a history publication researched and written by Keith
Henry, P.Eng., West Vancouver, a CD listing biographies and
pictures from 1943 to 2001(our last reunion) put together
by me. Pictures were supplied by various members but primarily
by our resident photographer, Don Hicks of Coquitlam.